Can I use 2 separate MIDI controllers at once?

RayArotin

Can I use 2 separate MIDI controllers at once?

Post by RayArotin »

I was wondering if there is a way to use 2 separate MIDI controllers at once with MidiKey2Key.

I have 2 identical 32 key controllers and I wanted to be able to use all 64 keys in my XSplit Broadcaster streaming program. (I'm mapping GIF animation triggers to the MIDI keys).

I notice that when I load MidiKey2Key... it only "listens" to one controller at a time. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to make use of both controllers?

Thanks. -Ray
Der Abt
Site Admin

Re: Can I use 2 separate MIDI controllers at once?

Post by Der Abt »

Hi Ray,

as long as those different devices are on different MIDI-inputs in the system, no problem.
You can run multiple instnaces of midikey2key at the same time.
Greetz
Der Abt

Creator of MidiKey2Key
https://midikey2key.de
RayArotin

Post by RayArotin »

Thank you for the reply. I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly... when I first tried to do what you said... it wasn't working for me. I was doing something wrong.

Then, I suddenly realized that I needed to have a second New INI file loaded for that second MIDI keyboard (instead of wrongfully using the same INI file for the both of them).

So, after I created a second INI file for the second instance of the program... it worked! Thank you!

I'm assuming that is the correct way to handle that.

One thing I don't quite understand is "Midi Channels". Both of the keyboards are using Channel 1... but that doesn't seem to cause a problem. Is that okay that they are both using the same channel? Is there even a way to make them use different channels?

Anyway, thanks again.
Der Abt
Site Admin

Post by Der Abt »

Since the two keyboards have their own connection to their own instance of MidiKey2Key, they would not clash in any way.
There is no need to change anything.

But if You would like to use a MIDI-merger that merges two MIDI streams into one (using "real" Midi Cables to a PC MIDI interface, not virtual connections) You could set one keyboard to Ch. 1 and the other keyboard to Ch. 2. So You could use a single instance of MidKey2Key to handle all events. Events on different MidiChannels are different. So MidiKey2Key can detect them and reacz with different actions.
Just in case...
Greetz
Der Abt

Creator of MidiKey2Key
https://midikey2key.de